Skip to main content

Red Queen

It was a friday, I hated fridays the village crowded in the high summer heat and that’s last thing anyone wants or want to be, from where I was my place in the cool shade wasn’t to bad but it did stink of bodies all of them sweating from morning work, is just enough to make milk curdle.  When I looked up at the sky the air shimmer with heat and humidity and every puddle from yesterday's storm are hot with swirling rainbow streaks of oil and grease. Markets deflates with everyone closing up their stalls for the day as I watched from my shade, merchants distracted careless makes it easy for me to take whatever I want from their wares but by the time I’m done, my pockets are filled with trinkets and an good apple for the road.
Not bad for my few minutes’ of work but as people move I let myself be take away by the human current as my hands dart in and out always in fleeting touches with some paper bills from a man’s pocket , a bracelet from a woman’s wrist but nothing to big. Some villagers are too busy shuffling along to notice me pickpocket in their midst. The high silt building for which the village name ( the Stilts very original) rise all around us about ten feet above the muddy ground but in the spring the lower bank is underwater even all right now it’s August when dehydration and sun sickness stalk the villages. That almost everyone looks forward to the first friday of each month when work and school end early.
As for me, I  rather be in school learning nothing in a classroom full of children, not that I’ll be in school much longer, since my eighteenth birthday is coming and along with it conscription. I’m not apprenticed I don’t have a job so I’m just going to be sent to the war like all the other idle ones, no wonder there’s no work left what with every men, women, and child trying to stay out of the army.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Queen- blog 2

The book “ Red Queen” is a good and should be read by almost everyone but I think there are some place where the author could of added more details about this and that instead he or she keep it simple. Also, the book really didn’t drag me into it like after reading a couple of more chapters I thought there was going to be some kind of action that  would make me jump out my seat but there was only a little bit and that kind made me upset, so the author should look back at the book to more action in it but who knows the other books might be a little or lot better then the first. The Red Queen almost reminds me of my cousin because she use to not like fridays and never understood why maybe because she has to work outside or maybe she didn’t like people but point blank I think that they both act the same because either likes going outside being in the hot sun burning up. Although this can use a few fixes to it I think it is still good to read when you have nothing else to do around you